Twitter is an amazing service used by millions of people throughout the world. Were you aware that you can use Twitter to create your own personalised newspaper? Here are step by step instructions on how to do this:
1. Login to your Twitter Account or create one if you do not have an account.
2. Follow people whose tweets and links suit your needs. Twitter will also suggested people for you to follow. Just click on the #Discover link (shown below) to get the process underway.
3. If you follow a lot of people then you’ll probably need to access your Twitter feed on a daily basis. The screen shot below shows how the Twitter feed appears on an iPad. You can obtain more information about a tweet by clicking on it to open a larger view. You will notice that the view shown below provides a link to a website. Some links in Twitter show photos. The view below shows a web link and when you click this it opens another screen in which the article will load.
4. You may find it difficult to read the text on the newly opened screen because it may be small in size or surrounded by clutter. One way to get around this problem is to install a tool called Instapaper on your tablet, PC or smartphone. Instapaper strips away all the clutter and gives you several options on text size and pagination. You can send the article to Instapaper by clicking on the “Read Later” option that appears when you click on the Share link on the top right hand of the screen which is shown below:
5. The screenshot below shows you how the iPad Instapaper app displays the content of the article free of clutter and at an appropriate text size. You can delete or save articles within Instapaper for later reference.
Twitter gives you complete control over the content of your newspaper and is, in my opinion, a much better option than paid newspaper subscriptions.
For another perspective on this topic I encourage you to read Peter Kafka’s excellent blog post “Here’s What a Twitter News Service Might Look Like”